Thursday, April 25, 2013

Zaha : “I am an Arsenal fan, but I could not turn down United”

Wilfried Zaha has admitted that although he is an
Arsenal fan, he could not turn down Manchester
United when they came for his signature.
The Crystal Palace forward has agreed a deal to
move to Old Trafford, but was loaned back, as Palace
try to gain promotion to the Premier League. The 20-
year-old was heavily linked with the Gunners, before
United sealed a £15 million deal for the England
man.


“It was always Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal in
terms of where I could be going,” Zaha told The Sun.
“I have always supported Arsenal. I did not expect
United to come in but they did. Arsenal are a good
team but United are one of the best in the world.”
As the season winds down, Zaha says he is really
excited as he prepares to meet his new team mates.
“I am just anxious and excited. I cannot wait. It will
be something different. When I walk into that
dressing room at United, I do not know what I will
feel. I will keep my head down as I am there to play
football,” he said.
“But I have to admit I will be a bit starstruck.
[Robin] Van Persie and [Ryan] Giggs will be in there
– wow. [Wayne] Rooney will be in there – amazing.
How can I not be looking forward to this?
“I have to be patient. I do not expect to walk in and
play week-in week-out. Once I get the chance I will
take it.
“Moving to Manchester will be something I have to
get used as I have lived in the south of England since
I was four. I will come down to see my family so I do
not think my accent will change.
“At the moment, though, the priority is Crystal
Palace. I can only assure everyone this is the case.
I’ve had a little dip in my performance since I signed
for United, I will not deny that. But I have to get
back to what I do well.
“People are saying it is the speculation of going to
United which saw me struggle. But Robin van Persie
went 10 games without scoring but it was one of
those things. He was still doing his best and playing
a part. Equally, I am desperate to get Palace up [to
the Premier League].”

No comments: